| Our first try at eating at a "mom & pop" restaurant gives a sketchy feeling as well |
Share in our experience of God making beautiful things out of the dust and out of us in West Africa.
Monday, October 6, 2014
Confession of a Germ-a-phobe
It feels like every other day here I say to myself, “this is
definitely the grossest thing I’ve ever done.”
It’s probably because I have germaphobic tendencies, so I try to counter
those thoughts be being thankful I’m not in the movie “Slumdog Millionaire”
diving through the bottom of a pit toilet (although I’ve sometimes felt that
way when changing diapers). One of the
hardest things was the week I had bad sinus congestion and was constantly
sneezing or blowing my nose, but the running water was not going for the
majority of a few days. I felt so gross
knowing that I had snot all over my hands and not a real way to wash them
before shaking hands or eating or touching the door handle! It turns out that there are a lot of (at
least) mental comforts I take for granted in the States from abundant access to
water, anti-bacterial soap, regular trash pick-up, and the assumption that most
people I’m in close contact with are practicing good hygiene. A lot
of times it just involves touching, eating, or sharing things that aren’t a
huge deal, they are just a little outside of my previous overly sanitized existence
of store bought foods, individual personal space, and fresh smelling cleaning
solutions. But it still creeps me out
when “friends” with typhoid or phlemy coughs “help us” by taking blankets off
the clothes line and then proceed to roll around in them on our couch before we
have a chance to fold them…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment