But then I went back and listened to the recording I made of that Sunday, and I was pretty disheartened by what I heard. I originally made the recording so I could learn how to better phrase some of these things in the “Casa” language, but from what I could already understand, it seemed like a lot of the key points of the sermon were glossed over with a vague summary. I then went over with our language teacher some of the key sentences about how we are adopted by God, and the son is accepted back as a full son and not a servant, etc. Our language teacher didn’t seem to think it was too bad a translation, but I discovered that there really isn’t a clear way to talk about adoption in this language. It comes down to saying something like, “a child you have taken/gotten.” There are a lot of different circumstances of “getting” children here though, as they are loaned to family members, go stay with families to study, are used as servants/slaves, etc. So I was not really excited about the whole translation process. But it has really highlighted the need to learn the language better than just small conversations so that there doesn’t need to be a translator. However, I was pleased the following Sunday because there’s always a summary of the previous week’s sermon giving during the announcements. The secretary giving the announcement gave a very fitting summary, stating that we need to respond by following God with thankfulness as a result of the grace he’s given by accepting us as children and not independent workers. All's well that ends well, right?
-- El Padre
No comments:
Post a Comment