These days are stressful and seem like they will just get more intense. We are confident that God leads us through these things and is even preparing us for them, or we wouldn't have been able to make it this far.
But all the little things of living and working in a tough environment start to build up together to make it feel extra tough at times like this. El Padre has been traveling with a group that is in the Sahel visiting our partner church. On Saturday evening he must have got a little bug that gave him such an intense headache that he threw up. When he was able to drive again, he drove home. I prepared food, medicine, and re-hydration drinks to enable him to get better and relax. We determined that he would not go to church on Sunday to rest.
We had a good Sunday that was spent with the guests. But by late afternoon I felt the headache coming on. El Padre was out again in the evening, so I snapped at the children every step of the way on their way to bed. I prepared the lessons for Monday and slept fitfully with my headache through the night. The morning came and I felt like it was so unfair that I had to get out of bed. As I was convincing myself to get out of bed, I realized that this week is looming ahead of me. El Padre is leaving this week to be gone for six and a half weeks. The morning went terribly. We had a late start to school, so it went very long. Monday is a day our house helper fixes our lunch and she didn't get here from the market until 11am, so lunch wasn't ready even at 1:15. And by then there wasn't time for her to wash the clothes. I apologized to our children about my poor attitude to the day. Our 'afternoon' came late that day - about 2:30 we were finally in our afternoon routine and the day finally had some relief.
The week kept kicking though - mostly with time. It was so busy, including sometimes in good ways, like having more fellowship with our guests and having them over for a last minute dinner. The plumbing of the guard's bathroom is backed up and we have to get a plumber in. I have a problem with a tooth that I have been avoiding admitting for a few days - it will wait until my parents get here right? We switched school around and made all sorts of adjustments to get El Padre and us ready for his departure. The before he was to leave, we woke up in the morning and my computer wouldn't start. Despite his busy day, El Padre tried some of his tricks, but there was no easy revival. He took it to a church friend who knows more and got me on the right track to getting it fixed when a part comes in from the US.
It is still stressful, but I rest in the fact that God has called and prepared us for this journey. We will make it and we must make the best of it. Three weeks ago we transitioned to the Sahel. Now we are transitioning to one parent (although Grandparents will be visiting during this time!). I place my confidence in the fact that God will make a beautiful picture out of these weeks, if I allow him to.
-- La Maestra
No comments:
Post a Comment