| We still have many reasons to smile! |
On a second note, as El Padre and I were talking the other evening I was lamenting that God called us to such a difficult country. There aren’t exciting animals, mountains, lakes, hikes, touristy things to do. Before we moved there I never heard of the Sahel on anyone’s bucket list to visit. There are very few missionaries. There is little Christian community. El Padre reminded me that we wouldn’t be there if it were an ‘easier’, more expat, more Christian community. That is the challenge that we have felt God preparing us for at this point in life. But from time to time I find I allow myself to feel sorry for myself for working here. In those moments, it's clear that you need a bigger reason to do what you do rather than just "I like it and it feels fulfilling" or "it must be important because it's hard"!
It also reminds me of the sentiments several people have shared lately that echo a Henri Nouwen quote:
"Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day."
-- La Maestra
No comments:
Post a Comment