![]() |
| Sadly we have used our share of healthcare lately. |
A friend of El Padre's son died as a soldier last year and just a few days ago - 10 months and 10 days apart, a second son has died. His face has changed. Yes, it is too much to ask a parent to bear. In some ways this is not as typical here because both of these young men were 20ish years old. Just when you sigh, they made it through the first six years - the most vulnerable age when 20% of the children die.
Another friend's son - thirteen years old - was visiting family in the village, as is very common for youth during school breaks. Suddenly he came down with malaria, which is like the common cold here. Before anything could be done, he was called to heaven.
I remember many of the fears I had before moving to the Sahel with safety and health being towards the top. I distinctly recall asking myself, "Can we consider going? My children are not expendable." As I contemplated this question, I felt so guilty. Nobody's children are expendable, yet in some areas I have a choice where others have no choice.
-- La Maestra

No comments:
Post a Comment