Share in our experience of God making beautiful things out of the dust and out of us in West Africa.
Monday, October 6, 2014
Familiar Faces Make Such a Difference
Market man in the middle
I would like to introduce you to the market stall that I
go to for most of my vegetables, oil, flour, eggs, rice, onions, garlic and
tomato paste. It is a long walk in hot
sun, but I enjoy going to visit my market friends. I get to practice some “Casa”, but they also
like to practice a few words in English!
Generally people here go shopping each day for their food they are going
to fix for lunch or dinner that day. I
think a lot of that is not having refrigeration and even with a refrigerator
food here goes bad quickly! As I go
through my list often the other customers are fascinated that I am using their
language and excited that I am buying ingredients to make sauce. But I would like to introduce Mustafa, the
seller at the market stall. He is a very
hard worker. And I think part of the
reason I love going to his stall is because he reminds me of my family. He wears an apron to put all his money in and
he works HARD and quickly. Yet he is
patient with me when I take a minute to say what I need. Today I saw him on the street and he stopped
and said hello to me.
A broader view of his stall and those around it
There are people I walk
past each time I go to the market, about 3 times a week and they have started
saying or shouting common greetings to me.
Some people stop me and say something in “Casa”. If I understand they celebrate. It is a huge pick me up for the days when the
language seems impossible. And they are
so understanding that I am learning kadan kadan – slowly, slowly. People are astounded that a white person does
not know French, but the fact that we are learning “Casa” first and can greet
them in the language wins hearts. Somehow it makes their day, but the familiar
faces and greetings that they give to me make it feel right.
No comments:
Post a Comment