While we are in Niger I find social media and the news to be so very important. I guess it helps me still feel connected. But during this time in the States I am checking them less frequently. In fact, it seems like I'm in a comfortable bubble and I don't have to keep up on the news as much. I checked the news the other day after the terrible news from London. It is so sad to hear people want to make a statement and news by hurting other people. But I was also so saddened to see how the news from Mosul was second rate news. The small single headline was dozens of people had been killed on the road fleeing Mosul. Yet the London attach had multiple links (understandably it was BBC). But it really got me thinking about how comfortable I am right now and how many people in this world are not living in comfort. While I am in the States it is so easy to forget about the many people living in such terrible conditions because I am in my little bubble. In addition it is so noticeable how we have first class and second class news.
I certainly don't think we need to go around always in melancholy mourning because someone in the world is in a difficult situation. But how do we balance this? How can we keep some of our attention on the needs of the world and not get caught up in the small inconveniences that it is raining again today and ruining my plans for a hike? May God give us the grace to balance so many of these areas of our lives.
-- La Maestra

No comments:
Post a Comment