Sunday, September 10, 2017

A Tiny Visitor

We have many neighbors who we try to help with different minor medical issues.  Especially helping put antibiotic and bandages on cuts.  Sometimes the cuts are infected and I boil water.  Much of the neighborhood knows that I have supplies to help in this area.  This week a Grandmother showed up with her premature, newborn grandson.  Sadly it is all too common here.  He was a twin and both his mother and twin passed away after his birth.

He was so tiny.  I am guessing he was maybe three pounds.  By looking at his skin, it was easy to tell his body was dehydrated and he had a terrible amount of skin / flesh missing on his left wrist from the hospital.  I think it was from an IV they were trying to put in his arm and couldn't find a vein, but I never fully knew.  This may have been my first life and death visit to my home.  I was pretty sure he wasn't going to make it.  I bandaged him up with antibiotic cream without putting any tape on his fragile skin and gave them some milk and a dropper to get him through a couple of days.  

The Grandmother wanted to tear off the dangling skin.  She wanted me to wipe off the cut with a feather.  She wanted me to tape his skin to keep the bandage on.  And the list goes on.  Even education in care of cuts here is often so off base.  

The Grandmother came back the next day asking me to change the bandages.  I didn't want to change it too frequently, but it was too thick and the wound needed more air.  At this point the Grandmother asked me for food for her to take back to the village and medicine for her stomach.  It is overwhelming to get involved with people - there are so many needs.  I knew she wasn't leaving until Friday, so I decided to get some food together for her then.  

Friday she visited again and the baby looked so much better!  No bigger, but less dehydrated skin.  And his cut was healing so well.  I thought that Friday's visit was a fun visit.  I was able to tell her that I help people because of Jesus' love.  That Jesus loves all the people in the world and because of his love, we help others.  And the baby was looking so much better that I felt our help may have made a difference.  Isn't he adorable?

-- La Maestra

No comments:

Post a Comment