Saturday, December 12, 2015

It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

I read that recently, so I am going to be difficult and say, 'What does that mean?' I am sure to each individual it means something different. Right now we are waiting and preparing in our household, and honestly our house may look a lot like the first Christmas - dusty, windy, dark, sandy, cool and loud animals. Otherwise we see very few things looking a lot like Christmas. We personally know of only one other house in our whole city of over 200,000 people with a Christmas tree (I am guessing there might be three more). We live in a place where school is cancelled for two and a half weeks for the independence day celebration this month, but children will go to school on December 25th. It’s usually a government holiday, but they don’t have any problems changing the schedule this year.

I guess I could keep going through a normal list, does snow make it look like Christmas? Do Christmas lights? Not seeing any of either here. Does a Christmas tree make it look like Christmas? We’re working on that, but does it have to be pretty? We’ve sewn or made every ornament on our tree so far, but maybe getting some hand-me-downs from a family who’s leaving. Does an Advent wreath make it look like Christmas? We have construction paper candles taped on our window for our Advent wreath this year, not as bright but at least it is a good time marker. Even as Christmas preparation looks a little different, I am grateful to find new ways to grow. As I struggle to educate my children in many areas of their lives, I am grateful that during these formative years they are at least not surrounded by many distractions from Jesus at the celebration of His birth!


--La Maestra

No comments:

Post a Comment