Wednesday, December 20, 2017

White Stomach Problems

They say in cross-cultural situations all emotions hit you harder. In addition I agree with Charles Swindoll that "we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day... life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it... we are in charge of our attitudes."

Lately I have been bombarded with discontentment. I find it difficult to understand why, because I love so many aspects of my life. I really believe I have the best job in the world. We work hard at school, but we have so much flexibility, especially in the fact that the kids don't have to set alarms to catch the bus by 7am.

I think part of it is pesky sickness - El Padre has an upset stomach and the rest of us are battling colds again. Another part is that the work load continues to increase and somehow we are going to have to figure out how to balance it more. In addition, we don't have any great alternatives for relaxation - no hiking, no parks, no biking, no running and I often feel trapped in my house. On the other hand, we can play family games, read books and watch movies.

I am reminded that this evil discontentment can pop up no matter where we live. I am grateful that there were so many upbeat, joy-filled songs at church. Even though they don't plan a theme at our church, the songs all sang about a 'white stomach' (happiness), feeling happy and the Joy of Jesus. As I approach a new day, I am praying regularly for contentment. I pray to really laugh today. I pray to find the positive in life and to deal with problems in a light way.


-- La Maestra

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your honest reflection. I resonate with this struggle - it is so easy to get discontent! Praying with you for perspective, contentment, and joy even in the twists and turns of life.

    ReplyDelete