Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Transition to more kids

I feel so much like an administrative assistant lately. I have filled out so many visa applications! 2 US; 2 European; and 1 Canadian transit = 2 of the 5 were unsuccessful! Too much paperwork! In addition new dependent on heathcare and now we are getting into US immigration for citizenship paperwork. Adoption paperwork is overwhelming! I think, why do we do things the hard way? – biological kids have a whole lot less paperwork! Now we are seeing all the doctors and dentists for our once a year visit. Each kid has something to follow up with at the doctors. The youngest has several things including OT and PT. And it is time to figure out what travel vaccinations each person needs again. 

Then we have our normal jobs, which during this time of the year includes a lot of administrative work for me. We are in contact with people and congregations we are going to visit, then follow up with emails afterwards and expense reimbursements to finalize. It takes so much more time than I think it should! When we get back to the Sahel, people ask us, “So how was your rest time?” Uggg! My workaholic self wants to scream, “We were working!” But El Padre reminds me I don’t have to justify myself, so I try to keep my mouth shut. 

As we have made these transitions to more children and even transitions to US and back to the Sahel, I often feel that I have a lot less time for ministry / others outside my family. Obviously we haven’t done very well keeping up with blogs after our 4th / 5th children joined our family! I always feel like I am trying to catch up. Even though it is true that we can’t reach outside our family as often since it has grown. On the other hand I remember the boy who needed some attention at the doctors’ office waiting room. Without my 4 children, I wouldn’t have been there to play on the "train" with him. I do think our areas of ministry will be more focused around our children and their friends or acquaintances. I see that very well in the lives of our colleagues in the capital. Maybe it is hard for me to imagine with our current situation where our children have very few outside friends, but someday we will get there.

-- La Maestra

No comments:

Post a Comment