Monday, November 12, 2018

That Settled Feeling

Showing off some favorite homegrown fruit: custard apples.
We were at the doctors for physicals this summer and the doctor did an incredible job of really investing in our children. She asked, “What is your favorite local food to eat where you live?” Without a pause my daughter (possibly for effect) replied, “Grasshoppers”. It is true the kids and mom like to eat grasshoppers or parts of the grasshoppers (some really prefer the legs). We are in the environment of John the Baptist and they really are the closest thing to potato chips, so they are a must try! Although we don’t eat them with honey…. Then she asked, “What do you like to do?” The kids replied, “Dig in the sand and build things.” I think so many kids are going to Saturday morning soccer and weekly piano lessons while my kids dig in the sand – we have doomed them. But the doctor pointed out how great it really is that the kids are imagining, building and just plain playing. It reminded me again of that encouraging perspective and my eyes have been opened more to the wonderful childhood my children are experiencing. Yes, it is kind of lonely and they often only have each other to play with, but we have been exploring new activities and possibilities too. Now as I hear them outside saying, “I want to pretend…” I think wow, what a great childhood they have. 

Like so many parents, I feel like I don’t do enough to teach my children. All their teaching falls on my shoulders (or El Padre’s). So there are habits we need to instill, music, PE, art, Bible, science, idioms (because how else will they hear them!) and the list goes on. All the extras press on me. Our school curriculum is big on nature study. When the kids were little I thought, we are so lucky the bugs come to us. We don’t even have to go outside for nature study! But as time went on I always feel guilty for not getting them outside. But these last two weeks have been wonderful helping me in this too. A Delight especially has been catching and befriending frogs, lizards, and grasshoppers. The other kids are making strides too. It looks like we might even have a pet frog for a couple nights. I guess children if given the chance to be outside are just drawn towards nature. Yes, it would be wonderful to have them observe and record more with the changing seasons in nature notebooks, but they are learning so maybe I shouldn’t be stressed about not doing it properly. 

Sunny doing work in his garden areas around the house.
All of this leads to me feeling more settled. It has been just over 4 years since we moved to the Sahel. In fact, this month 4 years ago we moved into this house after 11 long weeks of living in guest houses. This year though, I feel like we are settled and it is home. I think it comes down to a couple factors. 1.) “Sunny” was here during the rainy season and planted corn, millet, moringa, tomatoes, and flowers at just the right time to enable them to grow well. He put them all along the walls so they don’t get too much sun and don’t cut into our space too much. We have a much greener yard! 2.) We have figured out how we like to do things – some things local and some from home and thus have the best of two worlds! Maybe included here, we have started asking our house helper to prepare some snacks that we can eat all week long! 3.) El Padre built a fort for the kids. It is nice to have something kid centered and friendly! 4.) Now is the time for many of our yard fruit trees to give fruit. We are enjoying pomegranate, custard apples, and limes straight from the tree. And even from the market, there are some tasty cucumber-like things and special beans available this time of the year.

-- La Maestra

No comments:

Post a Comment