Friday, September 5, 2014

Being and Believing Off Easy Street

At least there's a stove to cook on!
We’ve been in our new home town for a little over a week and to be honest it’s been a tough one.  Most of the difficulties are things we expected on some level, but maybe we just haven’t been able to deal with them as easily as we pictured ideally in our heads!  Many things have gone wrong, but the low point has been not having running water for almost two days and being without power for most of that time as well.  In the midst of it I got sick with a fever and our kids had problems with diarrhea in many diapers!  La Maestra spent a lot of time carrying water across our compound from an outdoor faucet or fretting about conserving it and keeping enough filtered water.  We are staying in a brand new guest house of our partner church that has a lot of potential, and can be a big support to their ministries, but one big problem is that it hasn’t really been finished with everything it needs… 


Anyway, as I was going outside to change our dirty dishwater from breakfast this morning and listening to a song from Mumford & Sons on my iPod, I was struck by the lyrics, “…though there’s cracks you’ll see… If you’ll believe in me, I’ll still believe.”  I don’t know what M & S intended that to mean, but it reminded me what is foundational to our work and our being here.  It’s not that we believe in our own capabilities to adapt to culture or survive or even transform peoples’ lives.  I know I’m imperfect enough to mess all those things up (and I’ve seen how in fact I can).  But I also feel that we were called to come here for a purpose and so the God who created the universe believes there’s something good in this adapting and surviving and touching peoples’ lives that we’re involved in, which God can use to be transformational.  I can believe because God already believes.  And that’s enough to keep me believing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment