Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Open My Eyes

I pray that over our time in Niger I will never stop seeing the people.  As we have mentioned greetings are very important here.  So as we walk down the streets, we're constantly greeting people.  I found that I was greeting more quickly the people I thought were going to ask for money and then pretending I didn’t see what they were doing or understand.  I would give some money to a couple people each trip.  Charity is expected in the Muslim culture and these people are not wasting or being extravagant with the money.  Older women, people with deformed limbs, blind people are the common people asking for money.  I realize that by not giving I might be giving a bad image to the Christian faith.  There are a few instances I do not give – for example to younger boys who will be taking the money back to their Koranic teacher.  So I have developed a system to have small change in a different pocket in my skirt so I can quickly get the money and hopefully not have a huge scene.  I sometimes give away what would be equivalent to ten cents and I think oh dear this is terrible.  EVERY single person has been so appreciative saying thank you over and over and holding both their hands up clasped in gratitude.  It is important to me that each person senses that I think they are important and with this system I see them and do not ignore their needs. 

In the afternoon there are a lot of people napping on benches or mats along the street.
Along these same lines when I am walking down the street I find myself praying for many of the people that I see.   Sometimes it is the person who needed some money.  Sometimes it is the mischievous boy running down the street who I can tell just did something wrong.  Other times it is the crowd of primary age children crossing the busy street by themselves.  Sometimes it is the young mother or the adorable little girl obviously well loved by her family.  At that time I find my mind wondering to the bounty God has provided for me.  I am talking about the privilege of being covered in prayers.  My cup overfloweth and I wonder if any of these people God put in my path today to pray for had been prayed for yet this day or even week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment