I got to find out a little more a few weeks later when this neighbor stopped by to invite me to the wedding prayers for another neighbor the next day in the morning. I was not sure what to expect at all, but heard it may be like the prayer I attended after our guard’s death. I was relieved that when I started walking to the place where everyone was gathering, the neighbor who invited me came right out to me and led me to where we were actually going. We went to the closest neighborhood mosque and sat in a large block of chairs outside for about an hour while some 300 other men gathered and milled about. Neither the groom nor bride was present. The Imams sat on mats right outside the front door. One was given a lapel microphone from inside. He proceeded to say a one minute prayer. Then everyone stood up and greeted each other. And that was it! Very different from the Christian wedding experience, but very interesting. There was eating and live music all night the night before and more eating afterward, so I think the wedding party is probably the most similar thing across these two traditions.
Share in our experience of God making beautiful things out of the dust and out of us in West Africa.
Sunday, April 12, 2015
Wedding Invitation
I got to find out a little more a few weeks later when this neighbor stopped by to invite me to the wedding prayers for another neighbor the next day in the morning. I was not sure what to expect at all, but heard it may be like the prayer I attended after our guard’s death. I was relieved that when I started walking to the place where everyone was gathering, the neighbor who invited me came right out to me and led me to where we were actually going. We went to the closest neighborhood mosque and sat in a large block of chairs outside for about an hour while some 300 other men gathered and milled about. Neither the groom nor bride was present. The Imams sat on mats right outside the front door. One was given a lapel microphone from inside. He proceeded to say a one minute prayer. Then everyone stood up and greeted each other. And that was it! Very different from the Christian wedding experience, but very interesting. There was eating and live music all night the night before and more eating afterward, so I think the wedding party is probably the most similar thing across these two traditions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment