| The boys trying out the outdoor tippy tap as I pull the string. |
I first decided to make a simple one for our guard’s family and explained to them that families who wash their hands after using the toilet get diarrhea and other stomach sicknesses 50% less than families that don’t. They seemed interested as they just had a bout of bad stomach sickness last week, but I can also see that they will see it as a hassle to do even the small maintenance required (like re-filling the water bottle) for using one in the dry season when the water doesn’t come out of our taps. And it’s also a hard sell for them use one in the current rainy season when we have water out of the taps almost all day long. And I guess that’s where the value of repetition and follow-up is in the full CHE method that I didn’t go through with my guard (they might also feel differently if they had to walk to draw water like most of our neighbors). So, then I undertook to make a more complicated version in our bathroom to help our kids manage water better when we’re short of it and make our water stored in buckets less likely to become contaminated from dirty hands dipping cups in to get water. This one involves a wooden frame hanging the tippy tap over our shower area, and the plastic bottle with the handle, which is modified by melting and pinching it off so that it lets only a small amount of water into the section where the exit hole is. This guarantees that you won’t have half your bottle pouring out with one careless tip and rations the water better throughout the process of washing. We’ll see how it holds up after the excitement of using a new thing fades from us as well!
-- El Padre
No comments:
Post a Comment