Friday, July 17, 2020

Eyes to See

In November we heard the news that Easy-Teasy would need to have surgery.  I was talking through the details with my friend in the Sahel.  Toddler not able to walk for 3 months in a cast.  She was very sympathetic, but with such a positive approach that is always healthy for my soul.  After empathizing about how it will be very difficult, she mentioned to me, "Imagine all the Moms, nurses and doctors that you will get to know and interact with during this time."  It made me think in a way I had not thought before.
In the hospital with Isaac as I was pretty exhausted on day 2 and ran into another mother in the kitchen.  Her nonverbal 10 year old had back surgery 3 weeks ago and they had spent the last three weeks in ICU.  Her daughter's wound was opening up again and they were looking at taking her back into surgery tomorrow.  She said 4th floor children's was so restful and peaceful (compared to ICU).  I tried to empathized with her and could just see her exhaustion.  Tears came to her eyes and although I haven't seen her, but this Mom, whose shoulders hold up so much, continues in my prayers.  
There is a special chair called a spica chair for children who are in leg casts like Easy-Teasy was scheduled to be in.  We found a spica chair in Chicago about the time that we were picking up our mini-van there.  Unfortunately, Easy-Teasy wasn't able to use the chair because his brace was so very straight.  I found a Mom to pass along the chair so that her son could use it.  When she arrived for the chair, I asked when her son's surgery would be.  Her 4 year old son has already been through 5-6 surgeries and there isn't one currently planned, but she said she knew there would be more.  She said, you need to come and see him.  Her very small guy's legs were covered in scars.  She had another child in the car with multiple medical challenges.  Another Mother carrying more than her share of difficulties who again is in my prayers.  
I am so very grateful for my friend who opened my eyes to this opportunity.  I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to look outside of myself from time to time during a time that is a bit challenging.  We are so grateful for the deep and challenging friendships that God has placed in our lives in the Sahel. 

-- La Maestra

No comments:

Post a Comment