Tuesday, August 11, 2020

The Beautiful Community

With all these happenings in our world that seem to be isolating us in this time, I have had some reflections on community. 

I have frequently heard people lamenting the lack of community. But to me it seems like we need to look a little deeper than the lack of a chance to meet up with people or talk to friends face to face. I don’t think community is always going to look like we think. 



These past few weeks for me there have been many strangers stepping in to provide community for me. Some were medical experts, others pray-ers, others card and sticker senders. Neighbors I barely know have brought gifts for my son. Of course there are friends and family who have prayed, encouraged, sent cards and even gifts. Our parents have been rock-solid community. This past weekend, I really appreciated all the church leaders working hard to lead me in worship. Sometimes it is not the obvious thing that we see, but the body of Christ is around us and working in amazing ways and I am so very thankful for it.

Especially in this challenging time of surgery for Easy Teasy, the church has been doing wonderful things and we would like to point out the faithfulness of the church communities of which we are a part. Congregation members, mission committees, and pastors have stepped out of their comfort zone to serve our family by taking the time to show they care. One of the biggest testimonies has been a church that supports us, which we visited for the first time last summer, spread the word for people to send cards to Easy Teasy. Over his two surgeries, he’s had around 40 cards from people in that town alone. I wish they could see his squealing face when he gets to open another one! We will always remember the arms of Jesus caring for us through the church during these months.

-- La Maestra

No comments:

Post a Comment