In the microcosm of community that is our family, I’m repeatedly confronted with the basic need to get one’s hands dirty. Especially since our adopted boys have required a lot of TLC lately (I admit I have brief moments of wondering why we thought we could do this?). The hardest times may still be to come! But community requires that we don’t only look to ourselves and what is most comfortable, but outside ourselves. I have seen this in all my parenting lately - how much am I willing to step outside my selfish self to serve my children? As my two year old can’t itch his toes (who took him camping with mosquitoes anyway!). He can’t pick up his dropped car. He is uncomfortable and wants his feet rubbed. It is not the convenient thing. How willing am I to put aside my interest, even my need, and serve him. That’s difficult... and that is for my son!
In the same way we must look outside our family and its needs and interests. As we look at the larger community outside our family we are called to be there for each other in the same uncomfortable way. And I have seen that in so many people stepping out to be this community for my family in inconvenient ways. I am so grateful for all these people who have been the hands and feet of Jesus to our family recently.


We have so much to learn about community from other people around the world as well. I love how people in the Sahel are outside almost 24/7. They are constantly with neighbors and friends. It doesn’t matter how hot it is (although if it falls below 70 they may want to be inside because it is so cold!). This gives them lots of opportunity for building community. There is no computer time, surfing the web, or even TV for many people, which might otherwise pull them away from community.
But that’s a long way from where we are in the US with community. How do we learn from and make positive changes in the ways that we interact as people searching for deeper community?
The incarnation was a step into messy community for our Lord too. He could have stepped in and helped all over the place with easy solutions. But I am so grateful that Jesus came as more than just a fixer, he was an equipper and a listener. That is one of the best things of being in the Sahel with my husband, as he is such a great listener. We have found it is so important to help slowly through listening and being present. New programs and change don't happen quickly and El Padre has patience for helping as a cross cultural learner first and foremost.
For me that shows I can’t just try to jump in and tell everyone the fix for our culture’s drifting away from community. But I must be willing to put my money (and time) where my mouth is. Put my selfishness aside and get my hands dirty with person to person serving, listening, and learning. And all while appropriately social distancing…!
-- La Maestra
But that’s a long way from where we are in the US with community. How do we learn from and make positive changes in the ways that we interact as people searching for deeper community?
The incarnation was a step into messy community for our Lord too. He could have stepped in and helped all over the place with easy solutions. But I am so grateful that Jesus came as more than just a fixer, he was an equipper and a listener. That is one of the best things of being in the Sahel with my husband, as he is such a great listener. We have found it is so important to help slowly through listening and being present. New programs and change don't happen quickly and El Padre has patience for helping as a cross cultural learner first and foremost.
For me that shows I can’t just try to jump in and tell everyone the fix for our culture’s drifting away from community. But I must be willing to put my money (and time) where my mouth is. Put my selfishness aside and get my hands dirty with person to person serving, listening, and learning. And all while appropriately social distancing…!
-- La Maestra

No comments:
Post a Comment